Need more space on your Virtual Disk image? I installed Windows 7 Ultimate (using my MSDN subscription) on Oracle’s Virtual Box, but didn’t guestimate the size of my virtual disk correctly. Let’s just say that 30gb is not enough if you want to install Office 2010, Visio for Enterprise Architects, and a flavor of Visual Studio.
Seeing as I kept the Virtual Disk dynamic, I theoretically should be able to increase the size of the disk from the Virtual Box console. Well, no such luck.
Here’s a summary of the steps required to achieve this:
- Create a virtual disk (as large as you want)
- Clone the old disk to the new disk (command line tool)
- Detach the old disk from the Virtual Machine (using the Virtual Box console)
- Attach the new disk to the Virtual Machine (using the Virtual Box console)
- Boot up the Virtual Machine
- Using Computer Management, extend disk space (i.e. within Windows 7) Continue reading